- Maremma, Tuscany |
- 16 Guests |
- 8 Bedrooms |
- 8 Baths
The elegant, restrained style of Cariola is welcoming to all. This lovely home is ideally situated where you can enjoy both the Italian coast and the beautiful Tuscan countryside. Deepen your knowledge of world famous Super-Tuscans and experience the undeniable charm of Bolgheri. Bike the private farm road to the beach, pack a picnic and enjoy the day.
Wine enthusiasts can drink memories of Cariola long after the holiday ends; taste, acquire and ship it home.
Picnic, nap, walk, frolic in the surf --Cariola's sandy beach is an inviting place to play.
Grab a bite at Al Polpo Marina, a glass of wine in hand of course, and watch the surfers at the Baratti break.
Cyclists can sweat it out early and late on good roads with challenging climbs & moderating scenic stretches.
How to Spend Your Time
- Cariola is very well suited to families who want a vacation of relaxing fun outside.
- For those already familiar with the Super Tuscans, Cariola makes an ideal base for deepening your knowledge of these exceptional wines. Bolgheri is nearby with multiple restaurants, enoteche and winery options or enjoy the company of a sommelier for an evening at home.
- Include an afternoon passeggiata along the seaside in San Vincenzo for your aperitivo and let the children indulge in pre-dinner gelato (from Petra, the best). Marina di Bibbona to the north is host to the well-known La Pineta as well as a full complement of shops and is especially lively in the summer with late-night disco action for the younger set.
- The Maremma is rich with local culinary traditions being restored and enhanced through the influence of the Slow Food movement, which was founded in Italy. Seafood is the basis of the local cuisine and there are weekly markets to explore with a cook who can then work with you to create a tasting menu at Cariola. Nearby Donoratico has a good supermarket for everyday items if you want to be on your own.
- The Terme di Sassetta are a personal favorite for a chic spa experience in natural thermal pools, then stay for a foodie lunch in the farmhouse. Relais Sant'Elena offers easy-to-reach cooking classes.
- Castagneto Carducci is the nearby town, a charming Medieval hilltop and yet full of modern life; an outpost of an excellent local olive oil farm, a talented tailor making bespoke jackets and a very good gelateria plus several family-style restaurants.
- Head to the ruins high above the sea at Populonia, stopping into the small museum and climbing up to the tower - the view is 360 and worth the narrow steep stairs. Gorgeous afternoon light makes for magazine-worthy photos. Check out the surfers at Baratti.
- Cariola's beach access 10 minute walk, 3 minute drive
- Donoratico (enoteche, restaurants, supermarket, bike store), San Vincenzo (marina, shopping, restaurants) 10 minutes, 20-30 minutes by bike or walk
- Castagneto Carducci (weekly market, restaurants, shopping) 15 minutes
- Marina di Bibbona (restaurants, beach clubs, access to nature preserve, bike trails) 20 minutes
- Baratti (surfing beach, beach clubs) Populonia (ancient ruins, restaurants) 25 minutes
- Bibbona (olive oil, wineries, restaurant), Piombino (ferries to Elba) 30 minutes
- Terme di Sassetta 35-45 minutes
- Pisa (airport, historic center), Volterra 60 minutes
- Florence (airport, hstoric center), San Gimignano 1.5 - 1.75 hours