- Near Siena, Tuscany |
- 20 Guests |
- 10 Bedrooms |
- 10 Baths
Il Mugnello immerses you in an undulating landscape of hills, farmland and valley full of beauty. Breathtaking sunsets paint the house orange and highlight the colors and textures with unspoiled landscape views. Feast at a shady table and then refresh in the pool or drive to Monte Castelli for an afternoon passegiata. Take a 15 minute walk to town for morning coffee with the locals or a casual pizza night out.
Three separate structures provide for flexibility and privacy; book for 10 or more.
Your day trips are personal and local; meet people, visit farms, share in their way of life.
You can vary your days - from historical highlights in Siena to under-the-radar discovery of San Galgano.
Tour by day but come home to Lucia in the kitchen preparing a feast to share under the stars.
How to Spend Your Time
- Make sure you leave time for walking to town, strolling, getting to know the locals. The open-air, town-wide Festa di San Giovanni animates a summer weekend - al fresco lunches, local artisans, performances. The area is rich with local sheep farms, food producers and small wineries. Structured or self-directed itineraries to discover the countryside can be provided.
- This is a paradise of nature; running and walking, riding at nearby Tegoni with an al fresco pond-side lunch when you are done. Biking excursions with a guide can be organized for eBikes, road bikes or mountain bikes.
- Bring your interest in Tuscan cuisine and enjoy a hands-on cooking class for lunch or dinner. The kitchen counters are all Carrara marble and there is plenty of room.
- The famous ruins at Chiusdino-specifically the church of San Martino - roofless and stunning and worth a visit in its own right -- can be combined the nearby birthplace of San Galgano and the famous fresco of his sword.
- You can get your fill of wine tours; Bolgheri, San Gimignano and Chianti, Montalcino and Brunello; guided or self directed, for swirling and sniffing or drinking. Whatever your preference
- Make a pilgrimage to San Gimignano-- arriving perhaps just in time for lunch after enjoying a gorgeous drive with more than enough scenic vistas to fill your scrapbook. Wait until after 5 when the day-trippers leave the town quieter and more beautiful. Then a sunset-drive gets you home in time for one of Lucia's fine meals al fresco.
- Massa Maritima is a charming village utterly overlooked for no reason except it is less well-known but has numerous Trattorie and Osterie for a good lunch. Your drive to and from - hard by the Colline Mettalifere of the area is dotted with Romanesque churches and stunning vistas.
- Radicondoli (restaurants, bar, shops, ATM) 15 minutes walk, 4 minute drive (uphill going downhill coming)
- Chiusdino, Casole d'Elsa (small museum, restaurants), Montecastelli Pisano 30 minutes
- Colle Val d’Elsa (bus service to Florence) 30 minutes
- Siena, Monteriggioni, San Galgano (Sword in the Stone) 40 minutes
- San Gimignano, Massa Marittima 60 minutes
- Montalcino 1.5 hours
- Florence (airport, historic center) 90 minutes
- Mensano (excellent restaurant) 20 minutes
- Rome (airport, historic center) 3 hours