- Near Cortona, Umbria |
- 10 Guests |
- 6 Bedrooms |
- 6.5 Baths
Il Mandorlo is a gracious home, reflecting the owners' artistic aesthetics in design choices. Spacious and light filled with a wonderful collection of art and collectibles throughout the house to nurture your senses. Just as appealing is their commitment to keeping with the times, the owners have invested heavily in making their home as 'green' as possible, with in-floor cooling/heating and a bank of photovoltaics.
Incredibly evocative views, especially at sunset. The outdoor spaces are numerous and beautifully landscaped.
A lively village just minutes away -- weekly market, local restaurants, late-night music scene.
Get to know the Etruscans -- Chiusi has an excellent small museum, Sarteano has the only painted tomb.
Umbria is rich with its own culinary traditions -- lentils, saffron, crisp wines -- to enjoy.
How to Spend Your Time
- Citta della Pieve is one of the so-called 'Saffron Cities' of Italy. Learn about the production, use, history of this delicate ingredient, buy directly from local producers. Visit in mid-October and visit the local saffron festival. This is also the period for mushrooms, truffles and other seasonal celebrations.
- Your village is Citta della Pieve, a long walk or short drive from the house. This is a lively and cheerful village for a cappuccino with the locals, the weekly market, seeing art exhibits, and various dining options.
- This is the land of the Etruscans and a three-day immersion in this mysterious culture includes the Chiusi Museum, the Sarteano tomb (Saturdays only) and a fish-lunch by the lake. A day of imagination and discovery.
- We can arrange professional guided walking tours to nearby cultural centers - Perugia and Assisi and Citta della Pieve in Umbria, Chiusi, Cetona and Pienza in Tuscany are recommended as well.
- For those who love fine wines, Montefalco, Spello, and Bevagna offer tremendous opportunities for flavorful experiences. Let us schedule a driver and a day of wine tastings & lunch.
- Pasta-making? Organic beer making in a monastery? Truffle-hunting? You will eat well in Umbria, with artisanal producers and under-the-radar experts ready to share their passion and expertise with you. All manner of farm visits, cooking classes and hands-on experiences can be arranged to suit your interests and ages.
- Take a boat to St. Francis Island in the middle of Lago di Trasimeno or more locally, walk the trails up to Monte Cetona.
- Montepulciano is just across the valley to the west for a day of wine-tasting and shopping for gold at our favorite Etruscan jewelry designer. Lunch at La Grotta overlooking the stunning Tempio di San Biagio is highly recommended.
- Citta della Pieve (shops, bars, market 5 minutes driving, 40 minute walk
- Chiusi (train, highway, supermarkets) 10-20 minutes
- Cetona, San Casciano dei Bagni, Solomeo (Brunello Cuccinelli) 25-35 minutes
- Arezzo, Cortona, Castiglione del Lago 40-60 minutes
- Montepulciano, Orvieto, Deruta (ceramics) 50 minutes
- Perugia, Assisi, Todi, Cortona 60-75 minutes
- Florence airport 1.5 hours