Villa Santa Maria
- Near Lucca, Tuscany |
- 10 - 14 Guests |
- 7 Bedrooms |
- 9 Baths
Villa Santa Maria is essentially a new house, built to replace the 17th century original that previously stood on this gracious hillside. Lovely large gathering rooms, equally appointed spacious bedrooms and baths, air conditioning, professional kitchen for instruction in Tuscan cuisine side by side with a stocked cantina. Gym, tennis court and pool with solar panels for heat and a cover for efficiency and safety.
Ten minutes to the lively town of Lucca.
Excellent accommodations for up to seven couples.
Cooking classes with Lucia at the villa.
Need to work off all that pasta? Villa Santa Maria has a gym, pool and tennis court.
How to Spend Your Time
- Flat and bike-friendly, Lucca is ideal for riding along the Renaissance town wall and on to the Roman aqueduct at Nottollino.
- Discover the allure of nearby villages that have maintained their ancient characteristics and amiable charm for generations, including Bagni di Lucca, Barga, Castelnuovo di Garfagnana and Collodi.
- Take the children to Vinci, hometown of Leonardo da Vinci with a museum containing life-size replicas of his inventions.
- Pisa is famous for the tower -- scheduled tickets to make the climb can be done directly on line.
- Lucca has its own 'wine road' dominated by the vintners Tenuta di Valgiano, Buonamico and Terre del Sillabo. Vineyard and wine-tasting tours can be arranged - accompanied or self-guided.
- Enjoy the Tuscan Coast from a private boat out of Forte di Marmi, hike the scenic trails of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, Mugello and Lucca, or ride a horse in Migliarino. You are sure to fall in love with the rugged beauty and charm of this corner of Tuscany.
- If you're a shopper at heart, you can find hidden treasures with a personal shopper in the famous boutiques and outlets tucked into nearby coastal towns. A tour of the hard-to-find designer outlets in and around Florence is a must for serious bargain-hunters.
- Marlia, Cappannori (historic villas and gardens, basic shopping) 10 minutes on foot, 5 minutes in car
- Lucca (historic center, park and rental bikes, all shopping, train) 7 minutes
- Forte dei Marmi (beach, designer shopping), Viareggio (beach) 20 - 30 minutes
- Montecatini Terme (spas) 25 minutes
- Pisa (airport), Florence, Cinque Terre, Portofino 50 minutes
- San Gimignano 1.5 hours
- Siena 2 hours