- Val d'Orcia, Tuscany |
- 6 - 13 Guests |
- 5 Bedrooms |
- 5.5 Baths
Stylish farmhouse, home of a well-traveled Italian designer, surrounded by the expansive beauty and natural abundance of the Val d'Orcia. Enrich your experience with fresh fruits & vegetables from the garden, superb meals prepared by the amazing, gracious Cinzia. Flexible layout works for a family or extended friend group. Nature with a dash of global sophistication. Immersed in the timeless appeal of Tuscany.
At Podere Lucia you are just over a hill from Monticchiello and an easy drive to Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano
You will be mesmerized by gorgeous sweeping views and cooled by a delightful breeze.
You can choose an itinerary rich with food and wine, rugged with the outdoors or simply sublime, right at home.
Cinzia in the kitchen preparing fried, stuffed zucchini blossoms, just picked that morning.
How to Spend Your Time
- The small village of Monticchiello is just minutes from your door, perfect for casual dining or picking up some necessities. The Teatro Povero grew up here and is now a multi-stage and multi-season phenomena. A door of discovery into contemporary culture in Tuscany.
- The house is settled among farmland with near-deserted country roads (dirt but very passable) spinning out from the house. We highly recommend having eBikes for the duration of your stay - makes getting around easy and fun. If you prefer, guided day-trips from nearby villages can also be arranged.
- Cooking classes can be hosted right at the house, casual and family style for 2-4 participants. Or we can arrange a class nearby - perhaps to include a market tour, farm visit or other introduction. Each experience is customized to your group and level of interest and skill.
- Exploring the back roads and villages of the Val d'Orcia on foot gives you fresh air and exercise and brings you close to the land. Pienza is an excellent starting off point. Others can stay in town for a guided architecture tour or cheese tasting experience.
- Montisi, Castelmuzio and San Giovanni d'Asso are the heart of the Crete Senesi, just north of the house and worth a day trip for lunch, a garden stroll, olive oil tastings and introduction to contemporary artists who make this area their home.
- At Podere Lucia you are midpoint between the key wine towns of Montalcino, famous for Brunello, and Montepulciano, home of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. We can introduce you to winemakers for a private tour of their operations, or you can spend a day exploring on your own.
- This is an ancient land, quiet and a place that has drawn mystics and monks over centuries. Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore is a favorite, recommended with a guide. And then nearby Buonconvento for lunch and strolling.
- San Casciano dei Bagni is small but charming with a couple of good restaurants and, in the cooler spring and fall months, a day at the luxurious Fonteverde thermal spa is indulgent and restorative.
- Monticchiello 10 minutes
- Pienza, Montepulciano, La Foce (gardens) 20 minutes
- Chiusi (train, highway) 25 minutes
- Montalcino, Montisi 30 minutes
- Buonconvento, Monte Oliveto Maggiore 40 minutes
- Citta della Pieve, Sarteano, San Casciano dei Bagni (thermal spa) 50 minutes
- Siena, Cetona 1 hour
- Florence (historic center, airport) 1.5 hours
- Rome (historic center, airport) 2.5 hours