- South of Perugia, Umbria |
- 10 Guests |
- 5 Bedrooms |
- 5 Baths
Casa Mahler is your chance to live like a local in the lively, historic center of Spoleto while experiencing a true villa vacation. Enjoy a quiet afternoon reading by the pool then stroll to town for dinner. Day trips can be structured or self-directed explorations into local wine and cuisine, historic villages, famous sites. Go to Rome for the day if you like. Head out by car, train or on foot. The choice is yours.
This home is rich with culture, art, history, beauty and comfort. Settle in and be inspired. Kick back & relax.
Dig into Umbria's distinctive cuisine with cooking classes, farm visits and local tastings.
Experience both country house relaxation and in-town stimulation with an emphasis on art, culture and history.
Walking and being a part of daily life in a vibrant town defines a true villa travel experience.
How to Spend Your Time
- Spoleto itself is rich with historic, cultural and artistic interest including Minimalist painter Sol Lewitt's studio; we can arrange a special private tour. Or simply enjoy hanging out with the locals. taking an afternoon passegiata and using the town as a base for getting to know Umbria.
- Walking the adjacent oak-wooded hills of Monteluco to the ancient sacred grove and the crumbling Romanesque church is refreshing and cool. Pack a picnic or try the restaurant in the village.
- Montefalco, Spello, and Bevagna are key destinations for those interested in Umbrian cuisine full of creative experimentation and a young verve. If you like truffles, you must go to Norcia. Get to know the lentils of Castelluccio. Try La Crescionda, a sweet cookie with chocolate and Amaretto.
- A thirty-minute drive will take you up into the youthful capital, Perugia. Outlet shopping off the highways can make a day for serious bargain hunters and the Perugina factory is an optional distraction for children.
- Umbria’s most famous town, Assisi, with its lovely churches and frescoes is best in the evening, with time for an aperitivo and perhaps dinner at NUN Relais.
- Narni is a wonderful surprise away from the busy highway below. Best with a guide, and a great stop to/from Rome if you prefer.
- Celebrate with a sommelier to get to know Umbria's wines, right in the privacy of Casa Mahler, or indulge in a long lazy lunch at our favorite winery in Torgiano.
- Deruta is Umbria's well-known capital of hand-painted pottery. We can arrange a DIY session - it is harder than it looks - or you can simply shop the showrooms of our preferred ateliers.
- Spoleto (shopping, markets, restaurants, parking, train) 3-15 minutes walk through town
- Foligno 15 minutes by train, 25 minutes by car
- Perugia, Bevagna, Montefalco, Amelia 30 minutes
- Todi, Assisi 45 minutes
- Spello 25 minutes by car or train
- Viterbo, Deruta, Solomeo 50 minutes
- Orvieto, Gubbio 1 hour
- Rome (historic center) 1.5 hours by car, 1.25 hours by train
- Florence (historic center or airport), Rome Airport 2 hours by car