Villa Maria Taglioni
Near Como, Lake Como
680 square meters indoor
2 Hectares outdoor
- Extraordinary, state-of-the-art, neoclassical luxury villa directly on the Lake opposite Villa d'Este
- Minutes to Como, Cernobbio or Bellagio by boat
- Central air-conditioning
- Elevator access to each level, including covered parking garage
- Full staff
- Heated pool
- Complimentary 20-minute Seaplane Ride for two
- Private car, boat and seaplane services can be arranged
- Access to Villa d'Este Sporting Club
- Services of a Homebase Abroad Concierge available for the duration of your stay
- Homebase Abroad's professional staff will recommend and orchestrate a Customized Itinerary at your request
Villa Maria Taglioni is the centerpiece of Ville del Lago, an extraordinary private estate along the western shore of Lake Como near Como, directly opposite Villa d'Este. The property is situated below the road in an enclosed private park of 2.5 hectares, the only such estate on the Lake. Adjacent to Villa Maria Taglioni is Villa Maria Serena, an equally striking and luxurious villa. Together, 26 people can be accommodated in a refined, relaxing atmosphere surrounded by rich and exceptional appointments. Alternatively, each of the villas can be rented separately and privately. Villa Maria Taglioni is the larger property accommodating 14 guests with full staff and optional exclusive use of the extraordinary grounds.
The celebrated ballet dancer Maria Taglioni owned and restored the villas in the early nineteenth century, welcoming Bellini, Rossini, Franz Lizst, Riccordi and the Italian opera star Giuditta Pasta, for whom the role of Norma was written. The artistic flavor and worldly sophistication of the property during this period has been re-created by the current owners who have lavished 15 years of work redeveloping the estate. Today, the property incorporated state of the art infrastructure and comforts within the walls of these exceptional historic properties to create a property with exceptional character and distinction.
The dramatic reaches of Lake Como begin at the southern tip of the western leg, in Como. This ancient and charming city is the primary cultural center of the Lake with its main piazza open to the water. To one side is the yacht club and the seaplane club. Inside Como's ancient walls is a noted cathedral as well as numerous fashionable boutiques and excellent restaurants. September brings Autunno Musicale, a chamber music series. The opera season is October. This southern arm of the Lake is the most exclusive and the most in demand among the Milanese and other European aristocrats who spend summers and weekends on Como. Cernobbio and the celebrated Villa d'Este, five minutes by water taxi from Ville del Lago, has remained the epicenter of intimate charm for visitors throughout the last 100 years. Nearby are the famous villas of modern notables like Donatella Versace and George Clooney.
The pleasures of Lake Como are all easily accessible by boat from Ville del Lago. The enigmatic and abandoned Villa Pliniana serves as the dramatic backdrop for a swim from the deck of a boat. The pleasures of the Tremezzina - the triangular heart of Lake Como comprising Bellagio, Menaggio and Tremezzo - are only 30 minutes away by private boat. There is also the option of seaplane sightseeing trips enjoying the spectacular scenery from another perspective. Neighboring Torno, with its charming harbor dominated by an impressive church, provides an easy destination for guests wanting to take an excursion in the classic "Lucia' boat provided by the owner for guests' use. The land excursions are equally varied and enjoyable. One of the Lake's many lovely mountain trails begins in nearby Brunate, a hilltop town above Como. The astonishing and ancient Bergamo makes a very satisfying day trip. Lugano or Milan for shopping are easily enjoyed.
Ville del Lago is on the edge of a small village, a gate opening to the old stone paths and staircases running from the water's edge to the busy road above. This position provides a characteristic and charming walk to an excellent restaurant, perched on the edge of the Lake, and tennis courts, soccer field and cemetery beyond. This is a modest town, but if you want to have a coffee, head up the stairs to the road where you can find a bar or two. The charm of this in-town location is the walk and a chance for you and your guests to enjoy the tennis and soccer facilities.
The estate's neo-Gothic gatehouse marks the property entrance along the Lake road. The gravel driveway curves down through the park, passing the charming old chapel with its heavy slate roof and ornamental carved-wood and iron details. Alongside is a monument dedicated to Austrian Emperor Joseph II who took refuge in the Villa's harbor during a sudden hurricane in 1769. The park was a botanical garden at the turn of the last century. Although abandoned for many years, along with the villas, it is being gradually reclaimed and improved by the exceptionally dedicated and knowledgeable owners. The garden is full of towering trees - magnolias standing like oaks, rare cypress trees, thriving camellias and azaleas, and thick laurel. Wild begonias, exuberant fall-flowering crocuses and other specimens add scale and color. Among the many meandering paths is the rustic 'arco di pietra' terrace where you can linger to enjoy the view and have a quiet conversation.
The pool area is an oasis set amongst the trees lining the drive and comprising some 1,000 square meters. There are separate areas for sunning or shade and a more than ample supply of both adjustable cushioned chaise longue and smaller dining tables with chairs. Dinner can be served at the pool on occasion as well.There are any number of possible combinations for gathering in large and small groups. The area is large enough to offer guests of each villa some privacy when they are sharing the facilities. The large, heated pool curves into the hillside close by the Lake's edge, blending the perspective of pool and Lake. A dock is reached by stairs and gate from the garden for coming and going by hired boat. There are also granite stairs leading right into the water for Lake swimming. A casual outdoor living room has been created under a spreading copper beech tree for refuge from the sun. Beside the house, on a wide gravel patio, are tables for dining al fresco for groups of 14 - 26 shaded by Moroccan-inspired pergolas.
- Enclosed estate with 2.5 hectare private park
- Beautiful gardens, walking paths
- Heated pool (200 square meters, 9 feet deep, ladder access, cement lined)
- Large deck around pool
- Private boat dock
- Granite stairs to private swimming platform on Lake
- Outdoor living area with comfortable seating
- Outdoor patio for dining al fresco (accommodates 12 - 22 guests)
- Underground garage with direct entrance to Villa
- Primary entrance through courtyard.
- Formal entrance hall with staircase to first floor and elevator.
- Music room with Steinway grand and seating for 8 - 10. Three arched glass doors lead to stone balcony which runs the length of the house.
- Formal drawing room with working fireplace and seating for 10 - 12. Door opens to balcony.
- Formal dining room with working fireplace comfortably accommodates 14-26.
- Kitchen (2-gas and 4-electric burners, large oven, convection/microwave oven, Amana refrigerator, separate freezer, small fridge for beverages, double sinks, two dishwashers). Glass door opens to dining terrace.
- Guest bath (shower stall).
- Formal reception hall with elevator access and stairs to top floor.
- Sitting room with satellite TV, DVD and CD player. Comfortable seating for six.
- Double bedroom (king) reached directly through sitting room. Ensuite bath (tub with hand-held shower, open shower stall).
- Double bedroom (king) with walk-in closet. Ensuite bath (tub with hand-held shower, no curtain).
- Vestibule to double bedroom (king) and ensuite bathroom (tub with hand-held shower, no curtain).
- Central hall opens directly to sitting room and kitchen/dining room. Walk-in closet with washing machine and dryer. Elevator and spiral stairs (no railing) concealed behind doors.
- Sitting room with TV, CD player and comfortable seating for six.
- Kitchen/dining room with open corner kitchen (4-burner electric stove, oven, sink, dishwasher, small fridge).
- Double bedroom (twins can combine) with ensuite bath (tub with hand-held shower ).
- Vestibule leads to double bedroom (twins can combine) with ensuite bath (tub with hand-held shower).
- Double bedroom (twins can combine) with ensuite bath (shower stall).
- Double bedroom (full) with ensuite bath (shower stall).
- Guest laundry (washing machine)
- Saturday - Saturday rentals only. Arrival time is 4:00- 5:00 pm; departure time is 10:00 am.
- Cleaning included 4 hours/day, 7 days/week. Cooking & butler service for 3 meals/day, 6 days/week with 3 hour rest each afternoon. Additional cook or butler hours on request at E. 13.00/hour.
- Twice weekly bed linen change, daily bath linen change; additional linens by separate payment on request. Personal laundry by separate payment at E. 12.00/hour.
- Heat, gas, electricity and air-conditioning included. The pool is heated in July and August only on request to a maximum temperature of 28 Celsius. Given the size of the pool, this can take several days.
- Complimentary WiFi available for internet connection.
- Extremely sophisticated state-of-the-art electronics throughout (remote sensor lighting, push-button control of exterior shutters, automatic interior lighting of cabinetry, etc.).
- There are some hazards on the grounds (open lakeside, steep garden paths and stairs, etc.). The pool is deep and swimmers must be comfortable with using ladders to climb out. There is no shallow end. Guests are fully responsible for their own safety at all times. Maximum temperature on pool is 27 degrees Celsius.
- Children under 8 must be accompanied by nanny. Older children are welcome with the understanding they are well-behaved and well-looked after by guests or guest staff. Owners' staff is not available for child-care services.
- Owners prefer rental of Villa Maria Taglioni and Villa Maria Serena together in high season.
- Villa Maria Taglioni can be rented with exclusive use of property and pool by additional payment; please inquire. Otherwise, guests of both Villa Maria Taglioni and Villa Maria Serena share use of park and heated pool.
- Ferry service in Blevio is limited to approximately three arrivals/departures per day. Rental cars or private car service is recommended if you want to come and go freely.
- Private car, boat and seaplane services can be arranged on request. Use of a "self-drive" Lucia is included with the rental of your Villa. A complimentary 20-minute seaplane tour for four is included.
- Weekday passes to the Villa d'Este Sporting Club are available. Water-skiing, canoeing, golf and tennis are available on request; please inquire for specifics.
- Weddings and other special events are permitted at the Villa. Additional fees and special conditions apply. Please inquire.
Points of Interest
- Como (all services, shops, restaurants, boat hires, public ferry service, train station): 10 minutes by boat or car
- Cernobbio (Villa d'Este, boutiques, restaurants): 5 minutes by boat, 15 minutes by car
- Menaggio, Tremezzo: 30-40 minutes by boat
- Bellagio: 30 minutes by boat, 50 minutes by car
- Milan, Milan Airport: 1 hour
Price information available upon request.
- Food, beverages and consumables
- Additional cooking, butler and cleaning services
- Personal laundry
- Additional linens
- Supplement for exclusive use of property and pool, if requested and available
- Extras deposit (E. 3,500 on arrival; for multi-week rentals, extras are to be settled in Euro at the end of each week.)
- Refundable security deposit ($9,000)