Casanuova San Casciano
Val d'Orcia, Tuscany
400 square meters indoor
11 Hectares outdoor
- Elegant and comfortable home, furnished beautifully with mix of contemporary and traditional elements
- Stunning position on promontory, expansive views, completely private
- Heated pool
- Central to major points of interest in Tuscany and Umbria
- Air conditioning in all main bedrooms
- Wonderful cook available
- Services of a Homebase Abroad Concierge available for the duration of your stay
- Customized transportation, excursions and events available
We have written often of San Casciano dei Bagni, one of the bright lights of Tuscany - a perfectly charming hilltop town frequented by the chic of Rome who consider this their private playground. The surprise of San Casciano is the range and quality of your options for a small village. All across Italy, the pressures of a global economy and shifting preferences are changing the way people live, work and shop. This is true here as elsewhere, no doubt. But it is barely visible, making the experience of local village life delightfully appealing to visitors. This town seems to be managing an effective evolution that amplifies the best of San Casciano, its charming dimensions and old-world feel.
The town is tight bundle of rosy beige stone buildings which from the north or west show themselves to be at the edge of the stone perch on which they were built. Improbable, you think, and wonder even how it was all constructed and how you get close enough to check it out. That turns out to be surprisingly easy from the other side, without steps or perilous turns. The village includes an excellent pastry shop/bar, local bread/focaccia maker, bank, two grocery stores, a butcher, a jeweler and a tourist office. plus a couple of gift shops. Daniela the local entrepreneur provides a stylish bread/pizza joint, tableware store, Bar and her eponymous fine dining establishment. San Casciano's piazza is the only one we have ever seen with a panoramic view. The Fonteverde Spa is an elegant and modern addition on the edge of town, with an ancient Roman hot spring plus modern treatments. If you have in mind to adopt a charming small Tuscan village, consider San Casciano dei Bagni.
This southern realm of Tuscany offers you an amiable combination of attractive day-trips to explore the rich history and everyday culture of Tuscany and Umbria. Beyond San Casciano dei Bagni there are other villages for shopping and dining; Piazze, Cetona, Sarteano, Chiusi and Citta della Pieve. Further afield is the spine of villages comprising Montepulciano, Pienza and San Quirico d'Orcia. Montalcino on its own hill to the west and is still very reachable from the ancient 'Cassia'. Siena and Orvieto are both worth including on your itinerary, large and diverse, they are substantial destinations of cultural interest. We recommend visiting Florence by train, a more relaxing alternative. For those with the energy and motivation, there is more than enough to fill your days. For others, the vacation comes from permitting no agenda at all, allowing yourself to simply enjoy the house and your beautiful and private enclave.
The owner of Casanuova San Casciano, himself a landscape and interior designer, purchased these 50 acres for the setting - an oak forest and woodland-covered hill which opens to the spreading countryside below; Monte Cetona, Monte Amiata, Radicofani and the town of San Casciano itself visible from the property. There are no other houses sharing the view, there will be no one dropping by unexpectedly. A rough dirt road brings you up to the top of the hill facing due northwest where the house sits, surrounded by well-kept and impeccably designed gardens. The restrained geometric formality of the gardens is a fabulous accompaniment to the house itself and serves as showcase for the open panorama which draws your eye from wherever you choose to sit or stand. The mustard yellow walls and gray trim are in perfect condition, softened by vigorous climbing jasmine and clematis. the various rough stone garden walls fully integrated into the design. There are potted hydrangeas and flower boxes lining the walkways. and Mermaid roses blooming profusely May through October. The wide lawn beyond the house edges into woodland just below so the trees do not obscure the view.
Everything about Casanuova San Casciano is fresh and impeccably kept inside and out. The carefully structured grounds are fully designed for practical use every day, with ample furniture for each of the four outdoor seating areas to be seriously used and enjoyed. The designer interior combines family heirlooms with good contemporary interior design that is uncluttered and focussed on the details. The linens are carefully pressed and the beds crisp. The local woman who looks after the house is friendly and aims to please, she is also an excellent cook, bringing with her another woman for table service. All together the sense of the place is of a casual luxury that derives from the really delightful aesthetic of the house and the grounds brought together with friendly service.
- Private estate with 50 acres of lawn and woodlands
- Two vegetable gardens available for guest use
- Garden of Medieval design with olive trees boxed by lavender and irises
- Heated pool (14 x 4 meters) with hot and cold showers for rinsing off
- West-facing pergola with casual dining area and separate seating area, both overlooking the pool
- Hot and cold outdoor shower
- Open patio with smaller round table and chairs under shade umbrella
- Formal dining loggia comfortably seats 14 with a view to the north
- Outdoor lighting for pool, trees and patios
- Entry vestibule with stairs to first floor
- Living room with working fireplace, TV with satellite, DVD (American and European format), CD, Tape player, radio; double doors lead pool; alcove at one end with desk and fax machine
- Master bedroom (king) with AC and TV with satellite; ensuite bath (tub with hand-held shower, shower stall)
- Dining room doubles as a library; two tables can be set separately or together for 14; double doors open to lawn and gardens
- Eat-in kitchen (4-gas and 1-electric burner, large oven, fridge with separate freezer, double sinks, dishwasher, blender) with working fireplace and casual seating for six; door to parking area
- Double bedroom (twins cannot combine) with AC and TV with satellite
- Full bathroom (tub with wall-mounted shower and curtain)
- Master bedroom (queen) with AC, TV with satellite and ensuite bath (tub with wall-mounted shower, partial glass partition)
- Double bedroom (full) with AC, walk-in closet and ensuite bath (tub with wall-mounted shower, curtain); small private terrace
- Romantic double bedroom (queen) with AC and TV with satellite
- Double bedroom (twins cannot combine) with AC
- Shared bath (tub with wall-mounted shower, curtain)
- External stairs leading to the lawn and patio
- Double bedroom (twins can combine) with ensuite bath (tub with hand-held shower and curtain); most suitable for children or nanny
- Laundry room with washing machine and dryer
- Owner prefers to rent Saturday - Saturday. Some flexibility may be possible, please inquire.
- Cleaning included 3 hrs/day, 6 days/wk.
- Welcome dinner with wine included.
- Additional cleaning, personal laundry and excellent cook (alternate evenings) also available on request at E. 15.00/hr per staff person. Most meals require the service of two people.
- Single satellite box connects most TVs.
- Fax machine.
- All extras during your stay must be settled in Euro on departure.
- Decor includes family hunting trophies.
- WiFi available throughout ground floor.
Points of Interest
- San Casciano dei Bagni (spa, restaurants, shopping): 5 mins. by car
- Sarteano (restaurants), Chiusi (autostrada, supermarket): 20 mins.
- Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, Orvieto: 40 mins.
- Perugia, Assisi, Siena, Arezzo: 1 hr.
- Florence, Rome: 1 1/2 hrs. (by train)
- Rome Airport: 2 1/2 hrs.
- Florence Airport: 2 3/4 hrs.
Price information available upon request.
- Heat (for house and pool)
- Additional cleaning
- Additional shopping and cooking
- Personal laundry
- Food, beverages and consumables
- Refundable security deposit ($4,000)
- Extras deposit (E. 1,000 due on arrival)