Near Siena, Tuscany
1,500 square meters indoor
13 Hectares outdoor
- Luxurious private villa for rent in Tuscany with equivalent, all en-suite accommodation
- Ideal location 40 minutes to Florence and 20 minutes to Siena
- Central air conditioning
- On-site staff of six-plus, including experienced, English-speaking House Manager
- Extensive grounds with large pool, tennis court, croquet, gym and sauna
- Lovely views over characteristic Tuscan countryside
- Flexible layout for groups of 25, 31 or 35 guests.
- Well-equipped for large groups; suitable for weddings
- Customized excursions and programs, transfers and special events can be arranged
- Services of a Homebase Abroad Concierge available for the duration of your stay
Villa Isabella is the longtime private home of a prominent Roman family of diplomats whose matriarch inherited the Renaissance-styled villa and its extensive holdings decades years ago. This is a place they gathered as children to visit their grandparents and take summers in the fresh country air. They got to know the workings of the farm and the lands they occupied with the cultivation of grapes, olives and wheat, and wood harvested from the surrounding forests.
With the passing of the generations came a new idea, the chance to bring the estate into the modern age for a family grown accustomed to ensuite bathrooms and the comfort of air conditioning in the warmer months. The main Villa itself is vast and remains one of the largest single homes currently available for private rental in Tuscany. The owner and her daughter devoted ten-years to the complete renovation of the entire estate. Along the way they thoughtfully reconfigured rooms and functions to provide both intimate and grand gatherings spaces for the up to 35 people who can comfortably be accommodated at Villa Isabella. Every guest is ensured ensuite accommodation and bathrooms with windows. The amusements include a pool, hot tub, sauna, tennis court and now a gym for guests. An entirely new professional kitchen was recently added, although the long-standing local cook has always turned out exceptional meals. Now a cooking class for up to 10 can be comfortably accommodated as well. In the years they have been opening their home, the owners have continued to lavish attention on the property, consistently making additional improvements to ensure guests' comfort while maintaining the proper, aristocratic atmosphere of this storied home.
Those familiar with Tuscany know Chianti, where the popular red wine was invented and continues to hold sway, its vines of Sangiovese patterning the hillsides between Florence and Siena. Villa Isabella is situated between these two destination cities, nearby Colle Val d'Elsa where the Montagnola Senese dominate the landscape to the south and create a stunning backdrop of forests, fields, vineyards and farms that define this sub-region of Tuscany. The position could not be more ideal for offering prompt access to the key sites of interest for a Chianti-based Tuscan itinerary. Both small towns and larger cities can easily be accommodated. San Gimignano with it prominent, famous towers lies to the north. Siena is 20 minutes to the south, Florence 40 minutes to the north. The benefit of the recent energetic road improvements throughout Tuscany is an easy and nearly straight-line drive from the fast 'raccordo' linking Florence and Siena to the house. If you are a runner or a walker or a strong biker favoring mountain bikes, you can reach Pievescuola in 4 kms on a quiet country road. When you dine outside the villa, you can choose among the full range from simple trattoria to fine dining, all within a manageable drive late at night.
Villa Isabella sits in a commanding position on its own hilltop alongside a small cluster of buildings that were once all a part of a single economic unit, under the control of the 'padrone' in the Villa. Now the village is essentially independent, a sleepy residential enclave of mostly pensioners. The position of the house affords exceptional views from most all of the rooms. The handful of bedrooms which look on the piazza or courtyard formed by the entrance drive have the charm of helping you envision what it might have been like 500 years ago when people, produce and the overall drama of life unfolded outside your window. Now tranquility reigns and the birdsong is heard and on the far hill you can watch a small herd of white Chianina cows forage and meander through the brush.
But on vacation, accommodations matter. The impeccable condition of each and every building and garden is immediately evident. The Villa, started in the 1300's and then added to and changed at the end of the 1800's, rises majestically as the focal point of the estate. Here 25 guests are welcome. The courtyard is ringed with additional accommodations for guests; six in the Dependence and four in the even more lavish Owners Quarters. You are ensured absolute privacy for your group, regardless of its size.
Gardens, patios and recreational facilities are all carefully designed to provide maximum privacy from the house and make full use of the lovely views. There are multiple sitting areas each well furnished and adapted for use by guests. A spacious outdoor lounge set above the vanishing-edge pool, open on two sides and fully furnished as an outdoor living room, where the apperativo is often served before dinner. A canvas-covered pergola plus four umbrellas provide shade pool-side, with hot tub for four adjacent. There are changing rooms and bathrooms, plus an outdoor shower (cold only), in an adjacent renovated dependence. This same structure includes a sauna. The tennis court is set below. Open car park set out of sight next to the tennis court.
A garden of 1 1/2 hectares immediately surrounds the house with fruit trees, flowering shrubs, roses, flowering vines and cypress trees. There are characteristic views of green-covered hills, olive groves and vineyards from virtually every vantage point on the property. Following around to the south facade, a broad paved terrace is furnished with iron tables and chairs for 36 people and can be arranged to suit the size and configuration of each group. Retractable awnings provide shade when needed. For informal dinners, a large barbecue is set on a lower terrace of impeccably maintained lawn. This also doubles as a croquet lawn for everyone's amusement.
What matters at Villa Isabella is the personal attention and dedication of the owners who ensure visitors feel like guests in their own home. Weddings, special celebrations and professional gatherings are all welcome to this truly exceptional Villa that combines the warmth and quality of a personal home with the infrastructure and service of an intimate boutique hotel.
- Gated entrance into gravel 'piazza' centrally located between the Villa, Dependence and the Owners' Quarters
- Elegant gardens and plantings on 1.5 hectares of land
- Outdoor living room with dry bar adjacent to pool
- Pool (16 x 8 meters, 1.4 meters deep, stairs) with vanishing edge; tented pergola and umbrellas for shade
- Hot tub
- Pool house with separate changing rooms, full baths and outdoor cold-water shower and sauna
- Private tennis court
- Terrace with retractable awnings for al fresco dining (up to 36 guests)
- Lower lawn with outdoor barbecue
- Croquet lawn
- Large living room with several sitting areas. CD player and karaoke machine
- Three separate but adjoining dining rooms, accommodate 31 people; double doors to patio from each room
- Main kitchen (professional)
- Suite with private entrance from living room or off garden; opens into living room with seating for three; double bedroom (queen) with two private bathrooms (tub with wall-mounted shower, partition in each)
- Guest bath
- Main entrance reached up short staircase from courtyard
- Bar/game room with mini-kitchen (small fridge for cold drinks, microwave) and game tables
- Fully restored chapel
- 'Cavallo' single bedroom with ensuite bath (tub with hand-held shower, no curtain)
- 'Coral' double bedroom (queen) with satellite TV and ensuite bath (tub with wall-mounted shower and partial partition); separate sitting area
- 'Limonaia' double bedroom (king) with satellite TV and ensuite bath (tub with wall-mounted shower and curtain). Several steps from the door to the bed and bath.
- 'Rose' double bedroom (queen) with satellite TV and ensuite bath (tub with wall-mounted shower, partial glass partition)
- Guest bath
- Sitting room with desk, wall-mounted plasma TV with satellite, DVD and VCR
- 'Affrascati' double bedroom (king) with ensuite bath (enclosed shower stall)
- 'Green and Coral' double bedroom (king) with sitting area, satellite TV and ensuite bath (massage tub with hand-held shower, no curtain)
- Full bath (tub with hand-held shower, no curtain); used as guest bath for TV room or terrace
- Terrace with ample seating and dining tables (for up to 12 people
- 'Bricks' double bedroom (twins cannot combine) with satellite TV and ensuite bath (tub with wall-mounted shower, partial partition)
- Central sitting room with decorative fireplace. Opens to large balcony
- 'Pompeian' double bedroom (queen) with satellite TV and ensuite bath (claw-foot tub with shower attachment and curtain)
- 'Gold' double bedroom (king) with private vestibule, satellite TV and ensuite bath (tub with hand-held shower, curtain)
- 'Bianco' double bedroom (queen) with ensuite bath (enclosed shower stall)
- 'Peach' double bedroom (queen) with satellite TV and ensuite bath (tub with hand-held shower, curtain)
- 'Popes' private suite. Double bedroom (antique twins cannot combine) with satellite TV. Private bath (tub with hand-held shower, partial partition) across frescoed hall
- Lower level of the villa. Entrance room with ancient olive press
- Billiard room with full-size antique pool table
- 'Cantina' in two round rooms which store villa wines; can also be reached via separate gated entrance from drive
- Private entrance directly from courtyard into double bedroom (king) with sitting area and TV; ensuite bath (oversized Jacuzzi tub with hand-held shower, double sinks)
- Vestibule to staircase and first floor; small frigo at the top of stairs
- Double bedroom (queen) with ensuite bath ( wall-mounted shower and curtain)
- Double bedroom (queen) with ensuite bath (shower stall)
- Saturday - Saturday rentals only. Arrival time is 4:00- 5:00 pm; departure time is 10:00 am.
- Staff includes four domestics, cook, gardener and Director who manages the property for up to 25 guests. Staff works from 8:30 AM until after dinner, with a 2 hour break during the day. Staff alternates time off of one day per week, per person. For groups of 25 or more, an additional maid is mandatory at E. 10/hour for 6-8 hours per day
- The generous Continental breakfast includes bread, jam, cereals, fruit, eggs, bacon, ham, milk, coffee, tea, fruit juice, fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. and is charged at E. 10 per person including a waiter. Lunch (food and service) to be determined on-site with Manager depending on number of people dining. Dinner can be charged at E. 350 for the staff (cook, 1 or 2 assistant cooks, 2 waiters) plus food receipts plus shopping expense. Alternatively Dinner can be charged at a flat rate of E. 40 pp (25 people minimum) including food, preparation, table service and clean-up. All wine and beverages are charged separately as Extras and are taxed. Guests are permitted to bring in wine and liquor if they prefer. Shopping expense is E. 50 per trip.
- The Villa stocks the cantina with a good selection of Tuscan and Umbrian wines at competitive rates.
- Linens are changed mid week and weekly. Additional linen changes incur additional cost. Up to 40 pool towels are included.
- Personal laundry is cleaned on-premises and charged per piece.
- Electricity is included.
- Complimentary WiFi is available in the Villa, including guest rooms. Fax machine and computer (for checking E-mail) are located in the Reception Office.
- All Extras must be settled in Euro before guests depart by cash or credit card. A Lodging Tax of 21% is mandatory on all Extras and is calculated on the final bill.
- Each bedroom has ample clothes storage in dressers plus an armoire or built-in cupboard, as well as its own safe and phone extension connected to switchboard. The mattresses are comfortably firm. Heat/Air Conditioning can be independently controlled in each room.
- Groups of up to 25 guests have access to the Villa. Both the Owners Quarters for four and the Dependence for six can be added to any rental for an additional charge. Under no circumstance would these buildings be rented to other outside guests. Please inquire.
- Villa Isabella has a professional kitchen that is to be used only by Villa staff.
- Staff is not responsible for children, child care is the responsibility of the guests.
Points of Interest
- Pievescuola, Colle Val d'Elsa, Raccordo (fast road): 10 - 15 mins.
- Siena, San Gimignano: 20 mins.
- Castellina in Chianti: 30 mins.
- Florence, Impruneta (Ugolino Country Club): 40 mins.
- Florence airport: 50 mins.
- Montalcino, Montepulciano: 1 1/4 hours
- Pisa airport: 1 1/2 hrs.
Price information available upon request.
- Meal service (see Rental Notes)
- Food, beverages and consumables (including firewood)
- Additional staff hours E. 10.00 per hour, E. 50 per shopping
- Personal laundry (charged per piece)
- Extra linen changes
- Refundable security deposit ($10,000)
- Extras (estimated minimum E. 5,000 per week for 25 guests; paid in Euro cash or by credit card on departure or on demand by the House Manager)